Custom XKB deadkey sequences

Hi,

I am trying to create a custom keyboard layout for XKB. I have managed
to customize the key symbols by adding a new variant to a symbols
file, and modifying the rules file to add that variant.

I now would like to customize the dead_key combinations.  For example
if I press '^' and 'e', I would like the result to be , say, 'ā'
instead of 'ê'.  I found some articles, tutorials and postings to some
lists saying that I should just modify the
"locale/<LOCALE_NAME>/Compose" file and it should work (after using
setxkbmap, or restarting the server).  This, however did not work for
me. It just keeps on using the dead_key sequences as if I hadn't
modified the Compose file.

Does anyone have any idea on what I could do to solve this problem?

Regards
Alan J. Caruana