RE: xinitrc final command with -multiwindow

J. David Blackstone wrote on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:29 PM::

> Jason wrote:
>
>> I don't know that this helps, but I use the stock startxwin.bat batch
>> file Cygwin/X shipped with. Using that batch file, I am free to close
>> down the Xterm that it starts up, without X dying off.
>
>   That seems to function by running the X server directly rather than
> running xinit.  Anyone know what I'll miss out on by skipping xinit?
> (Other than the problem I have with needing to force the xinit
> process to stick around?)  I will seem to lose the ability to run
> custom stuff in my .xinitrc file, but I think I'd be customizing
> startxwin.bat/.sh anyway so that wouldn't be an issue I suppose.

That's what I do.  Just convert anything you need from the xinitrc to
run in the .bat file, or put them in a separate script and run it via
bash.

Make sure you don't change startxwin.bat itself, but work on a copy
instead.  If you change the original, the next update will overwrite
your changes (you might detect the voice of bitter experience here).

>> The only caveate is that this prevents a attendentless shutdown. When
>> you try to shut Windows down, an confirmation will pop up asking if
>> you are sure you want to disconnect all X clients. Even if there are
>> no X clients left running. Windows then sits and waits indefinitely
>> for your answer.
>
>   You get the same thing with startx.

There's a registry setting to force programs to quit on shutdown/logoff:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/rege
ntry/34615.mspx?mfr=true

True to form, MS only tell half the story in their documentation.  They
don't say whether the timeouts are honoured before forcing the shutdown,
so a shutdown may be immediate, even if an app is prompting you to click
OK to cancel the missile launches!  You may want to test this first.

Phil