Re: problem of cygwin X fixed

On 25 Nov, Emacs Rocky wrote:
>  Dear:
>
>  I just sent a mail to complain I can't start X in cygwin.
>
>  Now, I fount the solution in old mail-list.
>
>  Anybody experienced the same problem can refer to
>  http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2006-10/msg00051.html
>

>  the key point is : You need to mount the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts with
>  binary mode.
>
>  but , I don't know why it worked well in another machine without the
>  mount for /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts .
>
>  anyway. thanks to all you guys.
>
>  Rocky

This used to be broken in Cygwin for a while, then it was fixed.  I
reinstalled from a snapshot from Jan 3rd 2007 and the problem had
returned.  I had no mount point for X at all, so I don't know why the
problem occurred.

I did have a warning from setup saying that setup.ini indicated it was
newer than the version setup was expecting to install.

I re-ran setup a couple more times, re-installing the fonts (no
complaints about possibly mismatched setup.ini file this time), with no
luck.

Anyway, because I had no mount of the X fonts directory at all, I did
this to create one:

$ mount -b c:\cygwin\usr\lib\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

and re-ran setup to reinstall the fonts yet agai, and yes, X could now
start, the problem is fixed.

luke