Re: slow paints despite fast hardware

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:

> Again, why should Linux->Win32 be slow when Linux->cloud->Linux
> is so fast?

I don't know what you mean by "Linux->Win32" but Windows is not
Linux and neither is Cygwin.

I'm having trouble feeling motivated to continue reading your posts after such condescension. In context, it obviously meant this:

a Linux workstation -> an X client -> TCP/IP -> Ethernet -> a Win32
workstation -> TCP/IP -> XWin.exe -> X-Windows server -> display
hardware.

Do I have to, like, deconstruct each stack for you?

(Incidentally, the FAQ entry you indicated had trouble displaying
correctly in Internet Explorer. And the page is too long. In my
experience, IE gets # markers correct in long pages, compared to other
browsers, so don't blame IE...)

I suspect you mean this entry:

"7.7. Cygwin/X has very poor performance. What's the reason?

"Most likely you have installed some kind of personal firewall..."

Well, besides I already told you that other network activity was fast,
I have both Mandriva's and MS's built-in firewalls, and they are
correctly tuned. When I turn them off, and the virus scanner, the
problem remains.

You will not need to read my posts here anymore if you would reveal
the names of the config files, and their setting lines, that tune the
display hardware for XWin.exe. Then I would not need to Google for the
word "slow", which is too broad a search.

--
 Phlip
 http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand  <-- NOT a blog!!