Re: slow paints despite fast hardware

Phlip wrote:
CygWinners:

I have either Ubuntu or Mandriva on an old Dell Latitude. Alone, it's
perfectly fast. Some programs are faster than on my modern clone
running WinXP. Big surprise there.

However, when I run the latest CygWin XFree on WinXP, and connect
directly to this notebook with SSH, repaints are slow. I can run
Konsole, enter 'ls', and watch each line repaint, from left to right,
as the console scrolls.

This is probably a FAQ, but "slow" is kind'a hard to Google for these days.

Only painting is slow, as if the system must fetch each pixel, and is
missing some buffering or hardware acceleration on the WinXP side. All
other data transfers are super-fast, on a local Ethernet. Further, the
Linux X-server, with a remote client in another city, is super-fast.

This experience tells me that I simply don't know /what/ I don't know
about the XFree config files. Is there an entry somewhere that just
says 'fast = no', so I can switch that to 'yes'?

Yes of course!  But I would recommend setting "fast = super".  It's really
the best option.  "fast = yes" is for the mundane.  Also, keep in mind that
a goal of Cygwin-X is to run things as slowly as possible but to add Cygwin
specific flags and patches anywhere possible to allow people to configure it
in hopefully very obtuse terms to run more quickly.  Without this added
complication, just about anyone could figure out how to run the X server
easily, which would then eliminate the need for this list.  No one wants that!

In all seriousness, if you really think that your question could be a FAQ,
why wouldn't you start with the Cygwin-X FAQ?  For example, the answer to
your problem may come from the following entry:

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#poor-performance>

Or perhaps something else listed in the FAQ would prove helpful.  If not,
please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

before posting any follow-up.  It will help you provide some information
that may allow others to assist you in pinpointing your problem.

Holliston, MA 01746