RE: cygwin windows are white in 2nd monitor

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jeff.Blosser wrote:

> > On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Jeff.Blosser wrote:
> >
> > > From: Igor Peshansky <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
> > > To: cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com
> > > Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:52:19 -0400 (EDT)
> > > Subject: Re: cygwin windows are white in 2nd monitor

> > > I tried with -multiplemonitors and still have the same results. Here
> > > is the Xwin start command:
> > > %RUN% XWin -multiplemonitors -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error
> >
> > > I have also attached Xwin.log.
> >
> > And it clearly shows your problem:
> >
> > > winScreenInit - Monitors do not all have same pixel format / display depth.
> > > Using primary display only.
> >
> > Fix the above, and it should work.
>
> I changed both monitors to be 1024x768 on Display Settings. The 1st
> monitor has always been 1024x768 and I changed the 2nd monitor from
> 1280x1024 to 1024x768. This did not help. Before I patched to SP2 they
> were at 1024x768 and 1280x768. Both monitors are "Highest (32 bit" for
> Color quality and they are both "ATI Mobility Radeon 7500", IBM T41
> laptop. I still see the error message in above in Xwin.log. I don't see
> any other settings on Display Properties. So SP2 must of changed
> something.....

Sorry, can't reproduce this on my T40 with an external monitor, both with
the same display size and different sizes (same color depth).  I'm on SP1,
though...

> > > The other thing I have noticed is that /tmp is mounted from A diferent
> > > place. Before upgrading XP /tmp was just a directory under c:\cygwin
> > > now it mounts the dirctory below. I have no idea if this is related.
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Filesystem          1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > > C:\DOCUME~1\Jeff\LOCALS~1\Temp
> > >                      35509288  29961668   5547620  85% /tmp
> >
> > That's normal.  Most Cygwin directories can be mounted from anywhere
> > without much problem (the exceptions are system directories like
> > /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /etc, and so on).
>
> I don't want this mounted. Do you know where I can comment this
> out? I don't see it in startxwin.bat.

"man umount".  However, you probably want to find out what exactly added the
mount in the first place.  It's possible that your main mounts are text mode
(which wouild have been apparent from the output of "cygcheck -svr" that the
Cygwin Problem Reporting Guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> ask
you to attach).  Something must've done 'mount -ub "$TEMP" /tmp' to avoid
problems that XWin is sure to have when /tmp is not mounted in binary mode.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/