Weird Dialog Problem

Hi.  I'm trying to use Cygwin-X as a replacement for Exceed.
Everything seems to work great except for one extrememly annoying and
time consuming problem.  If a program pops up a dialog that is
supposed to be topmost (always visible on top of other windows), it
doesn't stay on top.  This happens when I'm running Cygwin-X by using
the startxwin.bat file with the option 'XWin_GL -multiwindow'.

Here's what happens.  We are using a program called Gambit (kind of
like a cad application).  On the right side of the main window is a
column with buttons you can click on for doing things like creating
lines and cubes.  When you click a button, a dialog pops up that is
positioned just below the button and still inside this right side
column that is supposed to be always on top.  This allows you to click
a button in this dialog and then draw a line in the main window area,
and then click back in the dialog.  The problem is, this dialog won't
stay on top.  As soon as you click in the main window, the dialog
falls beneath the main window.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

John