X quietly does nothing

Running Windows XP Professional SP2.

I had a fine install, but then a free win app bundling bits of cygwin & mplayer trashed my full cygwin install. I uninstalled the app, and then uninstalled cygwin. A fresh download and install.. and it still does the exact same thing. When I try to fire up X I get nothing, not a line of text, no log appears in /tmp, it just drops me to the next command prompt. It doesn't mater if I try the bat script, sh script, manually starting /usr/X11R6/bin/X from a cygwin prompt or XWin.exe from a CMD prompt.

I did a search for rouge cygwin1.dll (I'm clean) files, and tried a cygcheck -c (Found incomplete font packages that I beleive is normal.)

strace says "error creating process".

Any tips on where to go with troubleshooting this?

-- Mike