Re: Default directory is "C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\mksnt\"?

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:

Without the benefit of all the info that <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
recommends, I can hazard a guess that you have a copy of the MKS tools
installed. These tools will conflict with the like named tools in Cygwin.
Your best bet is to remove them. You'll likely find little advantage to
having them both and you certainly invite difficulties if you decide to keep
them both.

Not entirely true, Larry. If he *were* to remove that installation of MKS, he would then discover that his Rational Rose/Clearcase/Clearquest installation was broken. IBM's Rational toolkit relies on having those MKS tools available (and no, they cannot be coerced into using cygwin's tools instead).

(It's the automation stuff behind the scenes which requires MKS, not the cmdline 'cleartool' app; you can still call the cmd line 'cleartool' executable from cygwin if you want, without conflicting with MKS)

If you want both installed, you must make sure that one
environment doesn't see the other. That includes manipulating your PATH
appropriately and all your other shell variables. In particular, you've
already found that MKS has set SHELL to point to it's version.

Yep, that's the key. I simply set my cygwin dotfiles to override those nasty Rational variable values.
PATH
TERM
SHELL
TERMINFO
will do it. (you can include the dir in which cleartool.exe lives in your cygwin PATH; that's a different dir than the MKS junk).

You'll
likely
see other problems like this as well. As I said, the easiest thing to do is
to uninstall MKS and rely on the Cygwin version of these tools for your needs.

Unless, of course, he actually wants to be able to USE the Clearcase/Clearquest/Rose tools AT ALL. Which is likely, as he's got them installed.

Obviously, you are free not to take this advice but your configuration will
generally be considered non-standard by those who frequent the Cygwin lists so
further problems you may have as a result your MKS installation is likely to
fall on deaf ears. ;-)

Or, he could get it working and assist Corinna in testing the latest snapshot...

- Reintroducing the dirent member d_ino. 1.5.20 tries hard to return a
useful d_ino value, which is supposed to be also the same as st_ino as
returned by stat(2) in all cases, regardless of the obstacles to do
this on Windows. Do you have strange file systems like HPFS or

ClearCase?

--
Chuck