run.exe no longer working

All of a sudden, I find that run.exe is no longer able
to launch any application. For example, I had been
using for several months a desktop shortcut that calls
the following target:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/tcsh -c
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

(did that get split to 2 lines? should be one)

This shortcut worked like a charm for many months.
Then, all of a sudden last week, it stopped working.
Symptom is that NOTHING occurs - not even an error
message. No new processes appear in windows Task
Manager either.

I installed one new app (snoopfree privacy shield),
however I uninstalled it (and rebooted), yet the
problem persists.

I might have received a Windows update, but I'm not
sure how to find out.

Furthermore, I cannot launch anything via run.exe
manually from a windows command prompt. For example,
the following results in absolutely nothing other than
silence:

C:\Program Files>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/bash
C:\Program Files>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/id
C:\Program Files>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/ls
C:\Program Files>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/ps

Yet it does seem to at least check that the target
exists - because the following command results in a
popup error indicating that /bin/junk could not be
located:

C:\Program Files>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/junk

This is on Windows XP.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
-Bob