RE: Newbie help

> X runs in user space rather than as a server application.  The way
typical
> X-windows users see things is that program that runs under startxwin
is
> the client application, not the server.  Server applications for
X-Windows
> are running programs (like xterm, emacs, etc.).  This may seem like a
role
> reversal, but there's a reason for that - the program producing the
> information is the server and the program displaying it is the client.
> So, if I want to display an xterm on my.host.com, I can do that by
telling
> xterm -display my.host.com:0.  That will cause xterm to serve itself
> the X client on my.host.com instance 0.  If the client allows the
server
> to display information, the window will appear.  If not, the server
will
> get a rejection notice.  If the client rejects, the user can tell the
> client to accept connections by using "xhost +my.other.host.com".
>
> For more information, see...
>
> man xterm
> man xhost
>
> I hope this helps.

ARRG!  I got my server and client relationships backwards.  Regardless,
the rest of the info is still useful.  :)

---
Kevin Benton
Perl/Bugzilla Developer/Administrator, Perforce SCM Administrator
Digital Media Pervasive Computing Solutions Group
Advanced Micro Devices

The opinions stated in this communication do not necessarily reflect the
view of Advanced Micro Devices and have not been reviewed by management.
This communication may contain sensitive and/or confidential and/or
proprietary information.  Distribution of such information is strictly
prohibited without prior consent of Advanced Micro Devices.  This
communication is for the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender, then
destroy any remaining copies of this communication.