Re: How to run VNC thru ssh (openssh question)

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
I used to use the following all the time to access my Windows machine
remotely:

ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 -N -C -o Compression=yes -o
CompressionLevel=9 <machine name or ip>
vncviewer &

YMMV.

Obviously, you need to make sure that the port ssh is using is open
through any firewall.

None of this is really Cygwin-specific so further discussion on this l
list along this line is really off-topic though.

Hmmmm... I hope that is not true. I hope this is on topic because I think it is an issue with installing ssh. I get the following error when I try the command above:

No matching comp found: client zlib server none,zlib@openssh.com

I tried leaving off the -o and compression flags, but this did not help. I
got the same error until I removed the -C and then it did not even give me
an error message (and still did not work).

It is off-topic because there is nothing Cygwin-specific about the process to getting this working. So unless you can point to how this works on some other platform and not on Cygwin, you need to find a good book, site, or forum for ssh tunneling information. Consulting the man page is a good start if you haven't already.

I don't know what lines you typed to get the above error but I'm guessing from
the error you typed:

ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 -N -C -o Compression=yes -o CompressionLevel=9 zlib@openssh.com

I can't reproduce your issue. When I try it, it tells me:

ssh: connect to host openssh.com port 22: Connection timed out

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746