Re: cygwin gnome-terminal pty error

Luis P Caamano wrote:

> I updated cygwin with the latest vte package and now instead of the
> pty error, gnome-terminal just hangs with no error.
>
> I'm installing packages from kernel.org and from sunsite.dk.  Is it
> possible that the mix of packages is the problem?

>From two Cygwin mirrors?  there shouldn't be any problem.  And that is the
normal way if you use the ports repository.

> The only gnome package I selected was the gnome-terminal package,
> which then selected its pre-requisites.  Could it be that I missing
> something?

If you miss something you'll get a message about it.

> I'm running with CYGWIN="server ntsec".  Could it be that cygserver is
> not configured properly?

Not likely, but if you install syslog (comes with inet utils) you could see if
cygserver is logging messages.  If it is, and you don't have syslogd running,
the messages are in Window's event messages.

> Finally, is anybody running gnome-terminal on cygwin?

No, only in remote mode (gterminal running under Solaris).  Under Cygwin I use
eterm and it works fine.

> I'd appreciate any hint or clue about this.  Anything ...

How is gnome-terminal hanging?  You see the process but no window? or as before,
a window with no shell prompt?
--
René Berber