Re: Problem Starting X-Windows -- Problem solved?

I have also seen the same Cygwin/startx problem that Dean C. Tsai reported
on 15 Feb 2006, and I have found the same workaround, killing the sh.exe
process that's hogging the CPU. I don't know what's causing it, either.

I tried the latest suggestion, renaming sh.exe before running startx, but I
got an immediate error message "bad interpreter: No such file or directory"
and the $ prompt, with no X window and no Winit or x* processes running.

I, like wonder_6908, have McAfee Privacy Service running -- but when I
disabled it, the problem remained. I also disabled the rest of the McAfee
Security Center -- VirusScan, Personal Firewall Plus, and SpamKiller. The
problem remained.

Unlike Dean, I have a Gateway NX500X, not a Dell. I've had this problem
since the computer was brand-new (the first of the year), and I have not
modified the keyboard configuration.

I'll keep watching for resolution. (I tried posting a similar message last
week, following up on a more general posting I'd sent a month earlier, prior
to this stream. I don't see either message in the archive, so I'm trying
again.)

Bill Page