Re: Windows programs in Cygwin/X ?

Doug Bohl wrote:
After much turmoil, I've managed to get a number of window managers
running in Cygwin/X.  What I'm wondering is this:  Is it at all
possible to allow my windows programs to be managed by my Cygwin/X
window manager?  Presently, if I'm in -fullscreen mode and I'm running
some X programs, I'd have to alt+tab out of X and into explorer.

If this isn't possible, what would I have to do to make it possible? Maybe write an X program to 'trap' the window of a Windows program
into an invisible X window. Or something like that.

there a various ways to run the X server in cygwin.
Read the comments in and then try altering /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh to meet your needs. For example....

---snip---

XWin -rootless -clipboard -silent-dup-error &

# Startup an xterm, using bash as the shell.

xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l &
rxvt -e /usr/bin/bash -l &

# # Startup the twm window manager. # WARNING: Do not use an external window manager in conjunction with # the ``-multiwindow'' command-line parameter for XWin. Doing so # would start two window managers, which is never supposed to happen. #

# twm & wmaker & -----snip----