character mapping sun studio - cygwin

Hi ,
I'm trying to use Sun's Sun Studio 11 over a remote connection. Namely, I
run Cygwin on a Win200 machine and invoke the X term on a remote
(base-dev-1) box like this - :

$ xwin -clipboard -query base-dev-1
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.8.2.0-4

to access a Solaris 9 (native Sparc) box and run the IDE. The command above
starts a GNOME2 window and lets me run any of the programs available on the
remote machine including Sun Studio.
The problem I have is that only printable characters are mapped through to
the Sun Studio in this way. Other applications, including the terminal
(xterm) I use to start the studio do the mapping just fine (including
special chars like backspace). I did try changing the terminal type to vt100
but to no avail.
I have, also,  had some correspondence with Sun Studio developers regarding
this and they suggested using other remote servers to run the IDE and indeed
when using Exceed , for example, all the characters mapping works OK.
Does anybody know of any settings I may be able to change for Cygwin/X to
try and have those non-printable chars map through to the Sun Studio.
Kind regards Ismar

Ismar Duderija
Software Engineer
Ripple Systems Pty Ltd