Re: Problem Starting X-Windows

dean@work wrote:

> I need some help starting X-Windows under Cygwin :( After successfully
> download and install Cygwin, I tried to use a "startx" command to start
> the X-Windows. The following start to scrolling in my DOS win32 prompt
> (attached in the end). I can see a "X" icon showing up on my toolbars
> indicating that X-server is probably working, but nothing else happened...
> The DOS win32 prompt just hung there... Now if I use a "startx&" command to
> start X-Windows, my DOS win32 prompt will be freed up, but nothing much else
> happened either. Can someone help me solve the puzzle? What is wrong? Is it my
> display setting? Or is it a XWin configuration issue?
>
> I am not a software engineer, and I dont know much about cygwin. I only
> know enough to use it to log-on to a server, and occassionally complie
> some c codes... can someone at least point me to the right direction?

XWin is running fine from what you describe.

If you want to test it you can use the Windows taskbar, do Programs -> Cygwin-X
-> xterm for instance.

If you want a terminal (or something else) starting when XWin starts, then
create ~/.xinitrc (you can copy the one at /etc/X11/xinit) and add a line like:

rxvt -display localhost:0.0

Your problem looks like you are missing /etc/X11/xinit (which opens an xterm);
you problably need to install X-startup-scripts-1.0.11-1, but that is the same
package that installs startx.  Could be a permission problem or a bad
installation, creating your own .xinitrc gets rid of the permission problem.

HTH
--
René Berber