Re: Mutex lock failure: Resource deadlock avoided

jcliburn (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

> This is my first post here; if I'm in the wrong forum, pat me on the head and point me off in the right direction.

Right forum for qt3, wrong forum for kde.

The distinction is that qt3 is an official Cygwin package while KDE is from the
Cygwin Ports project.

The ports project http://cygwinports.dotsrc.org/ has its own mail list at:

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=99645

but read below.

> I recently upgraded Cygwin (sorry, but I don't know what version I was running before) and several packages to the current versions.  Now KDE 3.4 is badly broken.  As part of the effort to fix things, I completely removed Cygwin by deleting c:/cygwin and reinstalling from scratch (including kde3.4 and qt3.3, which was and is installed in c:/cygwin/opt).  When I try to start a single kde app (or just about *any* kde app, for that matter), I always get
>
> $ kwrite
> DCOP: register 'kwrite-3792' -> number of clients is now 1
> kio (KSycoca): kwrite : kapp available
> kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-u4ih9jkc/ksycoca
> Mutex lock failure: Resource deadlock avoided

Looks familiar.

> Mutex lock failure: Resource deadlock avoided
> Mutex lock failure: Resource deadlock avoided
> kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got start_service_by_desktop_name('knotify', ...)
>
> accompanied by a pop-up error message in the X root window:  "A KDE text-editor component could not be found; please check your KDE installation."
>
> I saw a similar thread in this forum about mutex problems, but it was slightly different, and it involved a different app (scribus).
[snip]

The error after "Resource deadlock avoided" is probably meaningless.  My
experience with Scribus is that the application silently ended, another (QT3's
uic) deadlocked.

The solution I found for Scribus was to recompile QT with debug enabled, the
package building failed but the library was produced.  Using that QT library
results in Scribus working fine... but with uic is another story, a very strange
story: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I haven't debug any further but with gdb it looks like it's a thread problem
(the problem seems to be in some inline C++ code that is difficult to work
with).  So another solution could be to build QT with no thread support (if that
makes sense and works).

I'm interested in this, but don't have much time.  If I can help just ask, I
could show the way I built the debug version of the QT library for instance, and
I could do some testing if needed.

Regards.
--
René Berber