cygheap base mismatch

I've sent the report below to cygwin@cygwin.com.  However, I've been
trying other software on my system, and the only part that seems to be
failing is starting XWin and xterms, so I'm sending this report here
as well.

As mentioned below, I start my XWin with
XWin -notrayicon -unixkill -clipboard -multiwindow &
and call my xterms with commands like:
xterm -j -sb -bg white -fg darkblue -cr green -ms magenta -bd red -geometry 80x84+90+0 -name left  >>& /tmp/log.xwin &

Thanks.

Lester

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
I can start a cygwin window OK, but when I try to open xterm windows
after starting
XWin -notrayicon -unixkill -clipboard -multiwindow &
I am getting:
    ------------8<------------ top cut -> bottom ------------->8------------
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe (2944): *** cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x611548E0/0x9748E0.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
    ------------8<------------ bottom cut <- top ------------->8------------

Since this seems to be a cygheap issue, I am sending this report to
this mailing list.

This problem just started today after some runs I did today, so it is
likely that something I did today caused this.  I attach cygcheck.out from
cygcheck -s -v -r < cygcheck.out

I did the recommended search, and I do not have any other cygwin1.dll
files on my disks.

I was just checking on some C code that I have running fine under
multiple platforms including under Cygwin.  To create DLL's I use the
-mno-cygwin option to gcc.  I found today when using this option the
code is hanging at popen() calls which I have used for some years just
fine.  (The popen() calls still work just fine under standard Cygwin.)
I thought that perhaps the newest mingw utilties were the problem, so I
installed the previous version 3-8-1 (using the standard setup.exe tool).
When this didn't help, I reinstalled the most current version 3-9-1 again.

I searched in the mailing archives and someone suggested just running,
from an ash.exe window (after closing all my cygwin windows):
PATH=/bin rebaseall
I've done this several times, including after rebooting, with the same
problems above.  (So, I also have rebooted as suggested, with no
solution.)

Any suggestions on how to deal with the "cygheap base mismatch"?

I guess the popen() issue is another matter.  The code compiles without
warnings using -Wall, and when it runs properly (not with -mno-cygwin
today), a regular leak check shows no memory leaks.  The run with
-mno-cygwin just stop after performing calcs and printing to files just
fine until it hits a popen() call.

I also had reinstalled the most current versions of
cygutils 1.2.9.-1
cygwin 1.5.18.1

I guess there is something else I should try to reinstall as well?
Perhaps my reverting to
mingw-runtime 3.8-1
and then putting back
mingw-runtime 3.9-1