RE: Basic question X - whatever

Herbert Eppel wrote:
> On 28.09.2005 18:04 UK Time, Soong, SylokeJ wrote:
>> With the clipboard enabled, do you know how to highlight, copy &
>> paste
>
> Nice subject line - I'm not really sure why I started this "Basic
> Question no." nonsense - it was bound to lead to confusion, sorry!
>
>> between win/xp and cygwin? I think that is his intent.
>>
>> Microsoft(which you know):
>> copy is by selecting then ctrl-c or menu-copy.
>> paste is by ctrl-v or menu-paste.
>>
>> Motif & cygwin:
>> Selecting text would spontaneously
>> (some people might prefer the term, automatically)
>> copy into clipboard.
>> Paste is by middle button click.
>
> Thanks for explain this. It's embarrassing, but I wasn't aware of the
> different behaviour :-[
>

>> e.g. copying from MS to Cyg:
>> copy text from MS win, move cursor to cyg window and press/release
>> middle button. Conversely from cyg to MS:
>> select text at cyg win, move mouse to MS win and ctrl-v.
>> Voila!
>>
>> However, if you don't have a middle mouse button, or you had mapped
>> that button to do something else, you could use -emulate3buttons
>> option which would require you to press both mouse buttons together
>> to emulate the middle button.
>
> I do have the scroll wheel button assigned to double click,
> and I would
> like to keep that setting, which raises the question of where exactly
> I would have to specify -emulate3buttons (is it simply another command
> line option after startx?) and what you mean by "both mouse
> buttons" -
> do you mean left and right?
>
> Thanks
>
> Herbert Eppel
> --
> www.HETranslation.co.uk

you pass it as a parameter to your X startup ( ala -clipboard
-multiwindow )

-emulate3buttons [timeout]
        Emulate 3 button mouse with an optional timeout in
        milliseconds.

$ Xwin --help
use: X [:<display>] [option]
-a #                   mouse acceleration (pixels)
-ac                    disable access control restrictions
-audit int             set audit trail level
-auth file             select authorization file
bc                     enable bug compatibility
-br                    create root window with black background
+bs                    enable any backing store support
-bs                    disable any backing store support
-c                     turns off key-click
c #                    key-click volume (0-100)
-cc int                default color visual class
-co file               color database file
-core                  generate core dump on fatal error
-dpi int               screen resolution in dots per inch
-deferglyphs [none|all|16] defer loading of [no|all|16-bit] glyphs
-f #                   bell base (0-100)
-fc string             cursor font
-fn string             default font name
-fp string             default font path
-help                  prints message with these options
-I                     ignore all remaining arguments
-ld int                limit data space to N Kb
-lf int                limit number of open files to N
-ls int                limit stack space to N Kb
-logo                  enable logo in screen saver
nologo                 disable logo in screen saver
-nolisten string       don't listen on protocol
-noreset               don't reset after last client exists
-reset                 reset after last client exists
-p #                   screen-saver pattern duration (minutes)
-pn                    accept failure to listen on all ports
-nopn                  reject failure to listen on all ports
-r                     turns off auto-repeat
r                      turns on auto-repeat
-render [default|mono|gray|color] set render color alloc policy
-s #                   screen-saver timeout (minutes)
-sp file               security policy file
-su                    disable any save under support
-t #                   mouse threshold (pixels)
-terminate             terminate at server reset
-to #                  connection time out
-tst                   disable testing extensions
ttyxx                  server started from init on /dev/ttyxx
v                      video blanking for screen-saver
-v                     screen-saver without video blanking
-wm                    WhenMapped default backing-store
-x string              loads named extension at init time
-maxbigreqsize         set maximal bigrequest size
+extension name        Enable extension
-extension name        Disable extension
-query host-name       contact named host for XDMCP
-broadcast             broadcast for XDMCP
-indirect host-name    contact named host for indirect XDMCP
-port port-num         UDP port number to send messages to
-from local-address    specify the local address to connect from
-once                  Terminate server after one session
-class display-class   specify display class to send in manage
-cookie xdm-auth-bits  specify the magic cookie for XDMCP
-displayID display-id  manufacturer display ID for request
The X Keyboard Extension adds the following arguments:
-kb                    disable the X Keyboard Extension
+kb                    enable the X Keyboard Extension
[+-]accessx [ timeout [ timeout_mask [ feedback [ options_mask] ] ] ]
                       enable/disable accessx key sequences
-ar1                   set XKB autorepeat delay
-ar2                   set XKB autorepeat interval
-noloadxkb             don't load XKB keymap description
-xkbdb                 file that contains default XKB keymaps
-xkbmap                XKB keyboard description to load on startup
-depth bits_per_pixel
        Specify an optional bitdepth to use in fullscreen mode
        with a DirectDraw engine.
-emulate3buttons [timeout]
        Emulate 3 button mouse with an optional timeout in
        milliseconds.
-engine engine_type_id
        Override the server's automatically selected engine type:
                1 - Shadow GDI
                2 - Shadow DirectDraw
                4 - Shadow DirectDraw4 Non-Locking
-fullscreen
        Run the server in fullscreen mode.
-refresh rate_in_Hz
        Specify an optional refresh rate to use in fullscreen mode
        with a DirectDraw engine.
-screen scr_num [width height [x y] | [[WxH[+X+Y]][@m]] ]
        Enable screen scr_num and optionally specify a width and
        height and initial position for that screen. Additionally
        a monitor number can be specified to start the server on,
        at which point, all coordinates become relative to that
        monitor (Not for Windows NT4 and 95). Examples:
         -screen 0 800x600+100+100@2 ; 2nd monitor offset 100,100 size
800x600
         -screen 0 1024x768@3        ; 3rd monitor size 1024x768
         -screen 0 @1 ; on 1st monitor using its full resolution (the
default)
-lesspointer
        Hide the windows mouse pointer when it is over an inactive
        Cygwin/X window.  This prevents ghost cursors appearing where
        the Windows cursor is drawn overtop of the X cursor
-nodecoration
        Do not draw a window border, title bar, etc.  Windowed
        mode only.
-mwextwm
        Run the server in multi-window external window manager mode.
-rootless
        Run the server in rootless mode.
-multiwindow
        Run the server in multi-window mode.
-multiplemonitors
        EXPERIMENTAL: Use the entire virtual screen if multiple
        monitors are present.
-clipboard
        Run the clipboard integration module.
        Do not use at the same time as 'xwinclip'.
-nounicodeclipboard
        Do not use Unicode clipboard even if NT-based platform.
-scrollbars
        In windowed mode, allow screens bigger than the Windows desktop.
        Moreover, if the window has decorations, one can now resize
        it.
-[no]trayicon
        Do not create a tray icon.  Default is to create one
        icon per screen.  You can globally disable tray icons with
        -notrayicon, then enable it for specific screens with
        -trayicon for those screens.
-clipupdates num_boxes
        Use a clipping region to constrain shadow update blits to
        the updated region when num_boxes, or more, are in the
        updated region.  Currently supported only by `-engine 1'.
-[no]unixkill
        Ctrl+Alt+Backspace exits the X Server.
-[no]winkill
        Alt+F4 exits the X Server.
-xkbrules XKBRules
        Equivalent to XKBRules in XF86Config files.
-xkbmodel XKBModel
        Equivalent to XKBModel in XF86Config files.
-xkblayout XKBLayout
        Equivalent to XKBLayout in XF86Config files.
        For example: -xkblayout de
-xkbvariant XKBVariant
        Equivalent to XKBVariant in XF86Config files.
        For example: -xkbvariant nodeadkeys
-xkboptions XKBOptions
        Equivalent to XKBOptions in XF86Config files.
-logfile filename
        Write logmessages to <filename> instead of /tmp/Xwin.log.
-logverbose verbosity
        Set the verbosity of logmessages. [NOTE: Only a few messages
        respect the settings yet]
                0 - only print fatal error.
                1 - print additional configuration information.
                2 - print additional runtime information [default].
                3 - print debugging and tracing information.
-[no]keyhook
        Grab special windows key combinations like Alt-Tab or the Menu
key.
 These keys are discarded by default.
-swcursor
        Disable the usage of the windows cursor and use the X11 software
cursor instead

WS-XP-4960: /home/rthompso>

reid