My attempt to use Cygwin seems doomed to failure in spite of...

... all the willing help I've received - esp from Reid. I do appreciate you
all taking the time to give me info and clues etc.

My conclusion is there is something on my system that prevents Xwin.exe and
/ or xterm.exe from completely initialising.

I've removed most of the original text of this apend, as while I was closing
down my stuff, I spotted something!

>From FAQ

<<

7.6. Why does Cygwin/X freeze right after startup?

Zone Alarm 5 is known to break Cygwin/X. As a result you'll see this line
(or a similar) as last output in /tmp/XWin.log

Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options =
"(null)"

Disabling Zone Alarm will not solve this problem. You can only uninstall
Zone Alarm 5 and switch to an earlier version (4.5 is known to work) or use
a different personal firewall.

I found this, but it is NOT in the xwin.log. By chance this time, I had
started xwin.exe in a cmd prompt and I could see the stdout messages. These
are pretty much what's in the log, except for the last line!

==> Rules = "xorg" Model = "pc105" Layout = "gb" Variant = "(null)" Options
= "(null)"

So, I guess that's it - it's ZA, bless it. I can't not use it, so I guess I
can't use Cygwin. Shame, I was getting quite fond of it.

As a long shot, I'll see if I can find the ZA forum and ask / search.

BTW, I discovered what is making cygwin run slowly - it is vsmon.exe that
runs when ZoneAlarm anti-virus checking is on (it usually is) - as soon as
any X-component starts the cpu consumption for vsmon rockets.

Thanks again everyone

-------

John Ormerod

erebor limited