Can't display remote clients

Apologies if I'm pumping out too much information on my problems. Have gone
through the User Guide in search of inspiration.

At the end in the section on Displaying Remote Clients - Telnet, I thought
I'd found a possibility - sadly no. However, the results might provide a cue
as to why my install / system is failing to work.

>From the manual:
1. Make sure you have the inetutils package installed.
==> I did not have this as it was not in the X11 package. Found it and
installed.

2. Launch Cygwin/X
==> I assumed this meant runing cygwin.bat to start bash. Took a long time,
but eventually  got a $ prompt.

3. In an X terminal type /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost remote_hostname_or_ip_address
==> This failed - maybe there's a good clue here, especially the "" for
display name?
<<
JOrmerod@EREBOR-JO ~
$ /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost rhlwasone
/usr/X11R6/bin/xhost:  unable to open display ""

4. In an X terminal type /usr/bin/telnet remote_hostname_or_ip_address.Use
the
explicit path to ensure that Cygwin's telnet is run instead of Microsoft's
telnet; Microsoft's telnet
will crash on startup when run from Cygwin/X.
5. Login to your remote machine via your telnet session
6. In your telnet session type, DISPLAY=windows_hostname_or_ip_address:0.0
7. In your telnet session type, export DISPLAY
==> I continued to see what would happen.
<<
JOrmerod@EREBOR-JO ~
$ /usr/bin/telnet rhlwasone
Trying 192.168.183.128...
Connected to rhlwasone.
Escape character is '^]'.
Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
Kernel 2.4.18-14 on an i686
login: ormeroj
Password:
Last login: Thu Sep 15 08:11:40 from ereborjo
[ormeroj@wasone ormeroj]$ DISPLAY=ereborjo:0.0
[ormeroj@wasone ormeroj]$ export DISPLAY

8. You can now launch remote X clients in your telnet session, for example,
xterm& will launch an
xterm running on your remote host that will display on your Cygwin/X screen.
==>
<<
[ormeroj@wasone ormeroj]$ xterm &
[1] 5066