Re: Remote login, then nothing happens

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Andy Schmidgall wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > > (and then a bunch of options)

> > > I get a password prompt, but after entering my password, nothing else
> > > happens. I do not get a command prompt after entering my password.
> >
> > Does the same happen if you run "ssh -x" (note the lowercase) without
> > DISPLAY= and -Y?  If so, you may indeed have a general ssh issue -- try to
> > get a working prompt first, and then set up X forwarding.
>
> ssh -x (lowercase) works just fine. I enter my password and immediately
> receive a command prompt.

Hmm, weird.

> > One more place to check is your startup scripts on the remote machine.
> > Do they change the value of DISPLAY (they shouldn't -- it should be left
> > at whatever ssh sets it to)?  Do they try to launch an X client if DISPLAY
> > is set (that could be what's causing the apparent "hang")?
> > 	Igor
> > [*] Well, there are more configuration options to check, but the two
> > things above are required regardless of the configuration.
>
> I don't see any scripts that would change the DISPLAY variable on the server.
> Also, if I ssh directly in to the server, "echo $DISPLAY" shows that the
> variable is empty. Should this have a value?

Is this with "-x" or with "-X -Y"?  When you turn X forwarding on, ssh
sets DISPLAY to a special value, usually starting at 10:0.  But since, as
you said, you don't actually get a prompt with X forwarding, you can't
check the value of DISPLAY.

> If I kill the shell process on my windows machine, the xterm throws an
> error: "Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding." and then logs me in to the server with a text command
> prompt. I'm not sure if this is important or anything.

Huh?  Which shell process do you kill?  Can you run "procps auxww" from
another shell to find out the command line of that shell process?

FWIW, "ssh -X" *should* give you a text command prompt.  From that prompt,
however, you should be able to start X applications.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu