Re: Can I close the startx cygwin shell?

Trebor Sreyb <tsreyb@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- "J. David Boyd" <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>
>> I use the startxwin.bat file in the
>> c:\cgywin\usr\X11R6\bin folder.  You can
>> modify to open several xterms, or whatever you want,
>> and it works great.
>

> I had tried once to customize startxwin.bat for my
> needs but gave up because it won't successfully launch
> my window manager (wmaker). Hence since then I have
> been using startx from within a cygwin shell session.
>
> Looks like I need to resolve the original problem
> first before I can get rid of that unwanted shell
> window.
>
> So, what happens with my startxwin.bat is that wmaker
> gets started, but the mouse is unusable, and the
> initial icons I expect to see never get displayed.
> Only an empty wmaker desktop. I can start an xterm,
> but its window has no title bar, resizing button,
> window borders, etc. I can use the keyboard.
>

> I had changed startxwin.bat to run the following :
>
> cd c:\cyghome\tsreyb
> run XWin -clipboard -silent-dup-error
>

> Also, the contents of my .xinitrc (in
> c:\cyghome\tsreyb) are:
>
> PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
> exec wmaker
>

> I suspected the problem was that certain X environment
> variables aren't set, because, by comparing
> environment variables with and without the problem, I
> find these aren't set when the problem exists:
>
> XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults
> XAUTHORITY=/cygdrive/c/cyghome/tsreyb/.Xauthority
> XCMSDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt
> XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
> XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale

Most of these are already in startxwin.bat.

Take a look at startxwin.bat again.  There is a spot at the bottom where twm
would be started if it were not commented out.

Also, you might need to use the -rootless or -fullscreen option to XWin,
instead of simply removing the -multiwindow option.  There are some docs
embedded in startxwin, but not much.

I'll try it some this weekend if I get a chance, and let you know how it goes.
I always have been running mine using the default startxwin, so it comes up in
multiwindow mode, using windows itself as the window manager, which works okay
for me.  But in the past, I did use twm, so everything was embedded in one
window that I could open and close, to have all my Xsessions together.

Let me get back to you after I beat on it some, maybe I'll find out how to get
it working again!

Dave in Largo, FL