6.8.2.0-2: Shift and control keys don't operate

I am running Cygwin/X ver 6.8.2.0-2 under Windows XP SP2

In xterm, or anything else that takes readline input, neither the shift, nor control keys do anything. Echoed output is lower case no matter whether the shift key or control key is pressed. No capital letters, and no control keys are available. Behavior is the same whether the client is local (local xterm) or on another machine (ddd on a linux box -- which is my eventual goal). Even when ctrl and shift don't work, capslock works fine.

In the regular cygwin shell, ctrl and shift work fine.

I'm running the standard US keyboard (PS2, not USB). I've tried more than one keyboard -- both 102/103 key and also 105 key.

Attached are cygcheck.txt and also a copy of the output from startx.

Does anybody have a cure for this?

Thanks,
Ed Greenberg
San Jose, CA