Re: cyg/lib DLL naming

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Peciva Jan wrote:

> >> our cross-platform application is working on Linux and Windows but
> >> not on Cygwin when X are installed. The problem has been tracked down
> >> and as a result: What is the reason for naming
> >> /usr/X11R6/bin/libfreetype.dll and not cygfreetype.dll ?
> >
> > This is an old library from the XFree86-dll-compat package and the
> > package is only required by program which have not been updated to the
> > naming structure which is used for over year now.
>
> Thanks for the response. I am glad that cyg prefix is planned to be used
> everywhere. However, can you give me some hints when will be the package
> or the DLL probably removed?

Why do you care?  It's a *compatibility* library, there for *old*
executables.  If you link with freetype now, the new DLLs should be used
automatically.  All you need is the libfreetype2-devel package, as well as
libfreetype26 (the runtime).  Note that libfreetype26 contains
"cygfreetype-6.dll".

However, to answer your question, the compatibility packages are usually
around until the last application using them switches to linking with the
new runtime.  Since there's no way to know when that happens (because
others may have unofficial applications), the DLLs stay around practically
forever.  Now that the Cygwin Time Machine is operational, though, this
may change.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT