Re: KDE Desktop Size is Larger than Cygwin/X Server Window

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Ross MacGillivray wrote:

> I am using Cygwin/X to access a KDE 3.3.0 desktop running on top of  Debian
> and a Colinux 0.6.2 Kernel.
>
> The viewing area of the KDE desktop is larger than the visible screen area
> within the Cygwin/X server window.
>
> However, I am getting no scrolling bar that lets me move around the entire
> KDE desktop.
> Unfortunately, at least one application window when opened on the KDE
> desktop is not completely visible
> because I cannot see the entire KDE desktop.
>
> Basically the KDE desktop is not being scaled into the Cygwin/X window and I
> can also not scroll around the desktop.
>
> What is the problem?

KDE. XWin provides a drawing surface for KDE and KDE should respect that.
Consider the Cygwin/X window a monitor. You can't attach scrollbars to a
monitor just because KDE thinks there must be a bigger desktop.

You can nevertheless expand the Cygwin/X window by starting XWin with these
parameters

XWin -screen 0 2048x1024 -scrollbars

> Is there a feature I need to enable for either desktop scaling or a
> scrolling bar (similar to what VNC offers)?
>
> I am getting the following error in the Cygwin/X console window when it
> starts up:
>           Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
> removing from list!
>
> Could the above error message be the cause of the problem described above?

no.

bye
	ago
--