Re: Problem with -multiwindow and -clipboard when using -nolistentcp

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2005, Brian Willis wrote:

I'm trying to turn off the tcp port for Cygwin/X. I would like to just close it down on the outside interface and still have it listen on the loopback device. I have not been able to find a way to do that. The closest thing I could find is to turn off tcp all together. This does work. I'm able to bring up xterms and the whole deal. I get odd behavior after that. The xterm allows me to copy and paste within the window, but it doesn't copy to the Microsoft Windows clipboard. The x button on the upper right corner of the xterm also does not work. You can only open one xterm or other type of xforwarding because multiwindow hasn't loaded. Is there a setting to tell multiwindow and clipboard where the display is? I can see them trying to access the loopback. Here is output from my xwin.log:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 6.8.2.0-2

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin :0 -multiwindow -nolisten tcp -silent-dup-error

winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - Could not open display, try: 1, sleeping: 5

I can see the clipboard and multiwin try and use the loopback and fail. Is there something I'm missing? Can I use loopback without the outside interface listening?

Multiwindow and clipboard require enabled tcp transport. But you can create
patches which force the threads to use :0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1:0.0 if the tcp transport is switched off.

bye
	ago

Is there any way to make the X server listen on loopback but not on the outside interface? The firewall software does all interfaces, not just the outside.
begin:vcard
fn:Brian Willis
n:Willis;Brian
email;internet:brian.willis@noaa.gov