Re: good .Xdefaults

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Jack Tanner wrote:

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
The colors are defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb
If the file is not installed, broken or somehow the xserver tries to use
a different file then the colors are not defined.

I have a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt. I also created a symbolic link, rgb->rgb.txt.

showrgb should print a lot of entries if everything is ok.

It does.

$ showrgb | grep black
 0   0   0             black

Still, I get Warning: Color name "black" is not defined.

Attention Thomas Dickey: By the way, there's a wrap-around error when that message is printed; it double-backs onto itself. TERM=xterm, latest Xorg, xterm, and terminfo.

showrgb and grep don't (afaik) depend on the terminfo.

wrap-around issues with cygwin could be due to stray carriage-returns (guess). You should be able to test this by redirecting
showrgb | grep black >foo
cat foo
(also check the contents with vi, etc.).

Despite the warning, the colors do take effect! That is, my .Xdefaults contains
xterm*Foreground: white
xterm*Background: black

Foreground/Background set the class names (usually foreground/background are preferred). Setting the class names can produce some odd effects. I haven't looked at that for a while, but do recall some comments that it has the effect of disabling ANSI colors, e.g., for text.

and the xterm gets the colors appropriately, although when it just starts, the background is washed white, and only turns to black after I do /usr/bin/clear.

...which is odd - the only thing I could think of is that /usr/bin/clear on cygwin is a termcap application, and the /etc/termcap is modified to set colors explicitly (I've seen people doing that on other systems, so it's something to check).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net