Re: setting default xterm colors

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Carlo Florendo wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know a way to set xterm colors without using the -bg and -fg options all the time? I know one way to do it would be to alias xterm in bash_profile such that the command always includes the bg and fg options every time it is invoked. Aliasing works for me but this is not what I want.

man xterm lists a huge number of commandline options and their respective
resources. -bg => background
-fg => foreground

These resources can either be set in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm* but these changes will get lost with the next xterm update or in ~/.Xdefaults
You may also create a global file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources and import tzhe settings with

xrdb -merge /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources

If you're using startx to start the xserver, it will automaticly read the settings from these files (in this order)
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
$HOME/.Xdefaults

The syntax of these files is the same as in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm*

bye
ago

Thank you very much Alexander. I have been very enlightened with your posting. :)

I've got a follow-up question: I run startx and an xterm fires up. That's no problem. When I invoke another xterm from the xterm that just started, I now get the proper background and foreground colors but `ls -l' does not display color coded directory entries anymore on the newly invoked xterm (It does display the colors from the xterm invoked by startx, though). Everything would work fine if I invoke `xterm -e /bin/bash --login -i' since I've aliased ls to `ls --color=auto' in my bash configuration file. Is there any way to make my xterm understand `ls --color-auto' without loading the shell configuration files (since it's from my bash configuration that I set `ls --color-auto')?

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

Best Regards

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo