RE: Multiple XWin.exe programs loading and no xterm

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > An alternative that I've not seen raised before: I was wondering if it
> > would be possible to run XWin as a Windows service (presumably via
> > cygserver).
>
> Services are run by 'cygrunsrv', not 'cygserver'.  'cygserver' provides
> Unix shared memory and IPC services for Cygwin.

Services normally don't have access to the desktop. They run as a special
user account and all graphics operations are discarded by default. You can
of course allow it to access the desktop, but that would somehow defeat the
purpose of services.

Instead one could create a shortcut to cygwin/X and place it in the autostart
group.

> Well, I don't recall if XWin has a way of selecting the next available
> display (I do know it's not on by default, even if it exists), but that
> would be pretty much a must in coping with an X service when one needs to
> also start an XDMCP query, for example.

Automatic display selection will create huge problems. People wither start
multiple instances of Xwin without noticing or they start an xserver and don't
know which display to use or they still uses :0.0 and wonder why the xterm
does not display and the other logged in user wonders why a xterm pops up on
his display.

bye
        ago

NP: VNV Nation - Untitled