Re: launch server x without startx command

Alexis Cothenet wrote:

I have seen http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-01/msg00476.html (
tried with my own ip)
but it doesn't work for me.
i'm working with tcsh shell.
Maybe there is a place where i could launch the startx script ?

I took a slightly different route that either of those posters did. The end result should be the same, but it's still worth a try, since you seem to be able to run startx once you have a POSIX shell.

My system has c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin at the end of $PATH$, and I simply stuck a shortcut to 'sh startx' in the default user's startup folder. As long as startx works on your system, this should too, since it's simply automating the invocation of the startx shell script.

This should work in user-specific environment variables and startup folders too, and if you don't want to edit your Windows path variable, prefixing the Windows path to bin/sh to the shortcut should produce the same end result as well.