Re: Make Xwin.exe run something on start-up

Alex Dubov wrote:

> Hello everybody.
> Currently, I'm using Xwin.exe+Openssh+winssh_askpass
> to allow users access to Linux servers. It works ok in
> a more or less graphical way expected by the silly
> user (he clicks icon, password dialog appears and then
> session is started through ssh). The problem is window
> timing. When X is in windowed mode, it starts in
> background, but window is opened slightly later.
> Password dialog, on the other hand, already appears
> and gets obscured by the opened Xwin rootwindow,
> baffling the user and causing inconvenience.
> I believe that to solve this problem correctly, an
> option can be added to Xwin, making it run some
> program after all window initialization is completed.
> This program can then be implemented to provide nice
> authentication dialogs in whatever environment user
> wants - thus resembling commercial X server products
> such as starnet or wrq, but with improved flexibility.
> I think it is not difficult to do for somebody already
> working on Xwin configuration options, so I'm humbly
> asking to implement this feature.

xinit (and startx) already uses such an approach. It waits until the server
is acception connections and starts the clients. I think this method is
more suitable than adding another point of failure to the xserver sources.

bye
        ago
NP: Das Ich - Erde ruft (Kramm Rmx)
--