RE: How to launch kde from ssh correctly?

Thanks -nodecoration works nicely

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Alexander Gottwald
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 12:17 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: How to launch kde from ssh correctly?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Mike Kenny - BCX - Professional Services JHB wrote:

> Sorry if this is a dumb question, please don't reply with a dumb
> answer
> :-)
>
> I want to use ssh to connect to a linux system and then be able to use

> KDE to access my applications. So far using ssh -X 192.168.1.13 and
> executing startkde after I login works, to an extent.
> Both the dektop and the kicker are launched, but they are launched
> independantly. I can move the kicker around to make it visible and
> accessible and then use the menus to get into openoffice, but my real
> aim is to wean my wife away from M$ toys and get her using ooo, there
> is no way that she will be happy with having to search for the kicker.
>
> Is there some option to ssh that will recifty this situation?

Most likely you're starting XWin in multiwindow mode where every window
from X11 is mapped to a Windows window. If you replace the -multiwindow
with -nodecoration then you get a single window for the whole remote
session. Or you could create a link which directly starts openoffice
without the KDE desktop

ssh -Yf 192.168.1.13 soffice

BTW: you should use ssh -Y instead of ssh -X because -X does only enable
untrusted X11 connections where some features are not working.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de