Re: Duplicate invocation problem with xwin.exe

Ok, managed to find out what the problem was.

Seems it's Zone Alarm. I had to completely uninstall it to solve the
problems.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else ever has the same problems.

I've sent a note to ZA support... if they offer a solution i'll post it
here.

Regards

Martin Gill wrote:
Hi,

I just insalled cygwin on my PC, and tried to get the x windows server running.

I used the startxwin.bat script to do this, but nothing seemed to happen.

After some investigation, I noticed that I had two xwin.exe processes running. I killed both of them and tried again. Again.. 2 xwin.exe processes started up.

I checked through the batch file, but all it was doing was starting xwin and then starting xterm. I commented out xterm, just in case and tried again. same result.

If I run the batch file, I always get 2 xwin.exe processes. I've tried runnig it from cmd as well as from the bash shell, but even in those cases I get 2 processes.

If i go into task manager and kill the xwin process with the lower memory foot-print, the x-server springs into life and everything works as expected.

I'm completely confused as to why this is happening.

My startxwin.bat is unchanged. I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 with the latest stable versions of cygwin.

Anyone able to offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Martin