Re: Internal-wm/rootless observations

I have been away on a long Thanksgiving vacation so I've been slow to respond. In any case, the 16 bpp modes are problematic but I believe we solved issues with them in the rootless code awhile back. The fundamental problem is that fb assumes screens are always 32-bit aligned. Thus you if a window's pixmap is not 32-bit aligned, fb assumes it can still access the word before the start of a drawable's data. In rootless mode, where windows are located higgledy-piggledy in memory, this is not true.

Rootless solves (or attempts to solve) this problem with the SetPixmapBaseToScreen() macro in rootlessCommon.h. The idea is that the unaligned window's pixmap is moved backwards in memory to align it and then a positive offset it given to fb to indicate where the window resides in the pixmap.

If there is an edge case where rootless does not work in 16-bits it would be good to track down. This mode is sometimes used on Mac OS X.

Hopefully that is helpful. I've got a review today but I can look at this in more detail tomorrow.

--Torrey