Mozilla patch

bruno patin wrote:

Ok I'm dowloading he source files. I don't think I will be ready to work before tomorrow because of my testing of the install procedure and as my connection is not as fast as thunder and as my daughters live on it a lot (ah msn messenger :-( )and as I have to download a complete cygwin distro ... So as soon as I'm ready and I lauch the configure, I report to you. How will I be able to get your patch ? Will you send me the files patched ?

Here is the patch, should apply against the daily snapshot from today or yesterday.

I have the source extracted three times, one directory from where I build (name: mozilla). Then I have two directories with the original sources, one from the fetched tarball (name: mozilla-orig) and another tree where I apply the changes from the CVS repository (name: mozilla-cvs). Before I start a build I do the following:

$ cd mozilla-cvs
$ cvs -z9 update
$ cd ..
$ diff -Nurdp mozilla-orig mozilla-cvs > mozilla-update.patch
$ cd mozilla
$ patch -p1<../mozilla-update.patch

Look where are conflicts now.

$ cd ../mozilla-orig
$ patch -p1<../mozilla-update.patch

This time there should be no conflicts.

Then update the local patch:
$ diff -Nurdp -x '.build' mozilla mozilla-orig > mozilla.patch

This way I have two reference trees, one identical with the CVS repository, one with my changes independat from the original.

I'm sure there are smarter ways to do stuff like this, eg. use CVS to get all the diffs from the older snapshot until todays repository contents, or do it all in one tree, but I like it this way.

My sophisticated build script is in the toplevel:

gerrit@loreley /ftproot/pub/mozilla
$ ls
log.conf
log.make
mozilla/
mozilla-cvs/
mozilla-orig/
mozconfig-mozilla.sh*
mozilla-source.tar.bz2
mozilla-update.patch
mozilla.patch

mozconfig-mozilla.sh: #!/bin/sh export CC="ccache gcc" export CXX="ccache g++" export MOZ_INTERNAL_LIBART_LGPL=1 export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1 mkdir -p mozilla/.build cd mozilla/.build ../configure --prefix=/usr 2>&1 | tee ../log.conf make 2>&1 | tee ../log.make # end of script

Run the script:
$ ./mozconfig-mozilla.sh

This lasts an hour or two...if there are no errors.

If you want use othe options to configure the tree, modify the file
mozilla/.mozconfig

To get a tarball in mozilla/.build/dist with the new compiled program there is a make target:

$ cd  mozilla/.build
$ make -C xpinstall/packager

This will create a tarball which extracts all into a directory named mozilla, just extract this tarball eg. from /opt, then cd to mozilla/ and run the script 'mozilla' in /opt/mozilla:
$ ./mozilla

Maybe adding /opt/mozilla to the PATH is not bad, then it can be started from everywhere, and X must be running already.

More details about building at the website:
http://www.mozilla.org/build/

Gerrit -- =^..^=