Re: Multiwindows launches but nothing happens

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, ROBERT T JOAN V SAVAGE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed cygwin and am having troubles running xwin or xwin
> -multiwindows.
>
> Running xwin pops open window, but has not drop down menus to start, for
> instance and xterm.
>
> If I run xwin -multiwindow nothing seems to happen.  The log file is as
> follows:
>
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 6.8.1.0-5
> [snip]
> XWin was started with the following command line:
> X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard
> [snip]
> winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
> winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
> [snip]

What exactly did you expect would happen?  The log shows the X server as
started and waiting for connections.  Now you need to open an X
application (e.g., xterm) -- it won't be opened automatically when you
start the X server directly the way you did (by running XWin.exe).

You have a few choices:

- Install the X-startup-scripts, and use either "startxwin.sh" or "startx"
to start the X server (both will, IIRC, open at least an xterm for you).

- Install the X-start-menu-icons package and use the Start menu to open
whatever applications you need.

- Use the old-fashioned way and open a regular Cygwin console (via the
Cygwin icon on your desktop), and from the prompt run

	DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 xterm &

- Do the above, but run a window manager instead (provided you're in
non-multiwindow mode, which in itself is a window manager).  Most X window
managers (e.g., twm, fvwm, WindowMaker, openbox) will have a desktop menu
that allows to start X applications.  Note that only twm comes with X by
default, others have to be installed separately.

- Starting the X server should have created an icon in your system tray.
ISTR there was some work on adding a menu to that icon that would let you
start applications and control the X server.  Don't know if that was ever
completed, though, or if it's been included in the default XWin package...

There are other ways, but they are more arcane... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT