Re: cygwin-xfree Digest 16 Oct 2004 01:22:57 -0000 Issue 1568

> > > The only way to debug this is to run XWin in gdb and wait until the
> > > error occurs.
> >
> > I've previously built XWin w/debug info and debugged it in GDB.
> >
> > But this time I ran into a new problem:
> >
> > When I run XWin in GDB, it constantly gets access violations. This is
> > during startup, and before I've got some sort of understanding of this,
> > I don't want to attempt anything more ambitious.
> >
> > cygwin1!__getreent
> > KERNEL32!IsBadWritePtr
>
> This is normal -- this is the way Cygwin (newlib?) tests pointers.  Just
> continue from that point.  I think there are two or three of those in the
> normal initialization sequence.

After doing this 50 times, it got boring and I gave up.

Last time I debugged XFree86, I didn't have this problem(or maybe once
or twice).

How many times should I have to endure this requester under normal
circumstances?

Perhaps something is actually wrong?

> If this bothers you too much, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>...

Ouch.

To even debug XFree86 I have to fix a long outstanding complicated
CygWin issue. :-)

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com