Re: Tunneling does not seem to work here (newbie)?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Boris wrote:

> Well, I also have problems with this, and although it is probably not a bug
> report,

My bad.  Should've said "problem report"...  Sorry.

> I was unable to resolve the following two issues by reading
> documentation.
>
> 1. Sometime ago, in some old version of cygwin (I apologise for not
> being able to tell you which one exactly) I was able to display a window
> from another machine by doing ssh and then setting the DISPLAY variable
> to point to the cygwin box (before that the remote host was added to the
> list of allowed hosts). Now with the latest version this does not work
> (I get an error message "Xlib: no protocol specified"), only ssh -Y
> does. But this results in much slower performance, and therefore the
> question is: was it an intentinal change or there is some new step that
> I am supposed to do now to be able to just point to my cygwin box?

I'll let Alexander or someone else more familiar with X internals pick up
the "no protocol specified" problem.  Could be a firewall issue...

As for 'ssh -Y" being slow, consider passing a "-C" option to ssh.

> 2. Now, when I try to run sshd on the cygwin box (and I set up the ssh
> server according to the README file) I am able to check that the server
> works by logging in from the bash prompt where I am already logged on,
> but not from any remote host, or even from the same prompt but logged on
> as another user. Before upgrading to the most recent version everything
> worked just fine.

This is not an X-related issue.  You should probably report it on the main
Cygwin list at <cygwin at cygwin dot com>.

> These problems I have on both WinXP and Win2K, with or without ZoneAlarm
> 5 or 4.5.

Firewall programs usually change the behavior of the TCP/IP stack by
substituting their own DLLs in place of the system ones, so they may
affect the behavior of network/socket related code even when disabled.
When you say "without ZA", do you mean "ZA disabled", or "ZA not
installed"?

> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Boris.
>
> pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX wrote:

Oh, and <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw