xwin produces flickery gray screen; cut/paste

Hi!  I just installed Cygwin, including X, on my Windows2000
workstation.  When I execute xwin, I get an awful-looking window, with
horizontal gray lines flickering annoyingly across the screen, which
is pretty much entirely taken up by this window.  There's a big black
X in the middle of the screen.  How do I fix this?

I got better results when I started X using startx.  The only problem
with this option is that I don't seem to have any form of
cut-and-paste.  The first few lines sent to the screen after I execute
startx are

  Welcome to the XWin X Server
  Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
  Release: 6.7.0.0-12

  Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

  XWin was started with the following command line:

  X :0 -multiwindow -clipboard

The mention of -clipboard above gave me the hope that cut & paste
would be possible, but I have not gotten it to work, neither between X
applications, nor between an X application and a Windows application.
Do I need to do anything special to get cut & paste to work?

Thanks!

kynn