Re: cygwin/x symantec antivirus conflict

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

Jack Tanner wrote:

A while back I mentioned I was experiencing slowdowns under X.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-09/msg00010.html

I think the slowdowns may have to do with Symantec Antivirus.

The slowness that I see with Symantec Antivirus is due to the 'select'
emulation in cygwin. Whenever XWin.exe does a select (which is nearly
all the time), the select emulation creates a new thread, creates a new
TCP socket and then connects to it. I suspect that the Symantec firewall
is getting in the picture here and making this a very slow operation.

I looked at the select emulation code and decided that it was too
complex to make a general purpose improvement. However, it might well be
possible to recognize the case of waiting on one or more network
connections and the keyboard/mouse, and handle that case efficiently. My
feeling is that this would make a huge improvement in performance.....

Philip

--
Philip Gladstone
* Check out the live pondcam at http://pond.gladstonefamily.net