Problem with port of xtermcontrol

Hi,

I am trying to get xtermcontrol working under cygwin,
and have had some limited success.
First off, to get past the initial configure issues, I ran configure
on a linux box, and then brought over the entire directory
tree to my cygwin box, and hand modified the Makefiles to
use the proper cygwin libraries for compiling/linking.

That being said, I have had limited success with the port.
I can use xtermcontrol to set attributes (--fg, --bg, etc).
HOWEVER......

When I try to retrieve the current values, it seems to hang.
(--get-fg, --get-bg).  The issue seems to be the read statement
in tty_read().  They hang, and never see the response
coming back.  I have tried doing a direct echo "^VESC]13...."
to the console, and I can see the response string come back.

Does anyone know why the read is hanging, and what needs to be
done to correct this issue?  I like the idea of this app to change
my screen based upon the system I login to (So that I can easily
see when I'm logged into a production machine, or a QA machine).

Thanks.