Re: cygwin/x and zonealarm firewall

BJ Garman wrote:
I saw on the website that some users had problems getting cygwin/x to run properly with ZoneAlarm firewall by zonelabs to work. I myself played around with it and found that it can be made to work easily by setting a few simple things within your zonealarm firewall. Cygwin/x must be able to act as a server and must be able to use its default ip addressing.

It's not that simple. ZoneAlarm implements it's security by replacing the Winsock with it's own code. In some cases this irreparably breaks programs that depend on the Winsock, like Cygwin/X.

ZoneAlarm 4.5 works fine, but ZoneAlarm 5 doesn't, as far as being able to run X. Other programs work with ZA 5 but not 4.5. Some simply don't work with either.