Re: server can't always talk to client!!

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Daniel Miller wrote:

> I've noticed that my Cygwin server can connect to my Linux client just
> fine, as long as both machines are connected to our local network.
> However, if we unplug the machines (who share a common Ethernet switch)
> from the local network, I can no longer connect to the linux box.  I'm
> guessing that this has something to do with a DNS lookup on one side or the
> other; telnet sessions have a similar situation, though the telnet session
> *does* eventually time out and connect.  Is this a reasonable guess??  Is
> there something I can do to bypass this DNS lookup, if that's what it is,
> so we can connect any time, even if no general network is present???

If both machines have static IPs, try adding them to the /etc/hosts files
on both Linux and Cygwin.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw