Recent X installation oddity

In the last couple of days, we've done several cygwin fresh installs
and updates.  In every case we get the X problem "Cannot find font:
fixed", afterwards.

In every case, the directory C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts exists,
it contains the directory misc, that directory contains hundreds of
files, yet we get the error message.

And, as per the FAQ, we then have to umount /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts,
re-run setup, select all the X fonts, and choose reinstall.  This is
both on absolutely fresh machines (Windows XP just installed), and on
an update to an older Cygwin system. (Which may have had the same
problem before running setup again, admittedly.)

Any idea what's wrong?  It used to be that X normally worked after an
install.  Now it seems to fail with this problem each time.

I'm planning to automate (as far as I can), the FAQ fixup, in our local
post-install script.

(Unfortunately, I don't think I can drive setup.exe from the command
line to reinstall the fonts directly, can I?  Are there files I could
remove from the install afterwards, so that a second run of setup could
be done that would find that the X fonts were gone and proceed to
install them?)

Also, I was wondering why /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts is mounted anyway?
Since / is mounted, you can reach it using that same path.  If it was
so that you could remount it elsewhere if you wanted to, because you
didn't have the space to hold 40MB (heh: tiny, these days!), then you
could do the mount then ...

Just wondering.

luke