Re: window manager

Chris W wrote:
Brian Ford wrote:

What I want is to be able to change colors and font sizes on the fly and

AFAIK, font sizes are application specific and have nothing to do with the
window manager.

I'm not sure what you mean by colors. You mean like the Windows desktop
themes?

I meant the xterm background and text colors, I guess that doesn't really have anything to do with the window manager.

Create an .XDefaults file (note: most Windows tools won't allow it, as a file starting with a period cannot have a valid MS-DOS 8.3 filename, and they all require it to be creatable for backwards compatibility) and populate it with the desired settings. 'man xterm' should have the list of valid settings. 'man startx' may as well, but I'm not certain about that.

some way of opening more windows or other x applications with a menu of
some kind.

Is Start->All Programs->Cygwin-X not sufficient? You want a real X window
manager instead of the Windows one?

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of linux windows managers. The instation didn't create a Cygwin-X entry in my start menu and I'm not sure how to add one. I can add the startxwin.bat but I can only run that once and when I try and create a shortcut to xterm.exe it just exits right after it loads.

Install the x-org-icons package. Incidentally, most X programs will start correctly if the X-server is already running.

Setting DISPLAY=0:0 as a Windows environment variable, or in you shell's rc file, will get all of them working this way, but rxvt will stop working in W11 mode if you do this (in the case of the rc file, Windows shortcuts to rxvt may still start it in W11 mode).