Re: XWin listens on too many TCP

From: "Christopher Faylor"
<cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com>
Gottwald wrote:
> >On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Ted Bennett wrote:
> >>I read your post concerning XWin listens on too
many TCP ports and
> >>killing existing connections.  You were
corresponding with Khoa Nguyen.
> >>Was there any fix for his problem?  I am having
the same symptoms.

> >You are using Zonealarm too?
>
> Maybe I need an autoresponder to this thread.
>
> AFAIK, this is cygwin working as normal, i.e., it is
not a bug.

> The code in question is in select.cc.  If anyone
wants to give a look
> and suggest alternate implementations, they are
welcome to send patches
> to cygwin-patches.
>
> cgf

This should be on a FAQ for Cygwin-Xfree somewhere
because the side-effect
is unintentional and misleading.  Took me a month
corresponding back & forth
with a software vendor before I narrow it down to
Cygwin.  From a user
perspective, all I could tell was that the connection
was disconnected, so
the first impression was the vendor's software
misbehaving.

With that said, I concur with Ago that either
Windows's Winsuck2 stack is
misbehaving or ZoneAlarm has modified the TCP/IP stack
wrongly (i.e. a bug)
to cause select() to disconnect other sessions.

Khoa Nguyen