Re: Installation problem: Setup Wizard suggestion

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new on this list and with Cygwin/X, but have experience both with
> Windows, Solaris and Linux. Yet, after several download attempts I have
> had more trouble than usual with installing and getting started with
> Cygwin/X. Maybe I have done something wrong (see below), but in my
> opinion the current setup wizard is unusual and/or too advanced for the
> average Windows user. Therefore I would suggest the following easy,
> known and simplyfied selections on a first setup wizard:
>
>         o Minimum installation
>         o Typical installation
>         o Custom installation

Terje,

If you Google for "cygwin installation profiles", you'll see that this has
been suggested multiple times, as far back as October 2001.  Nobody
volunteered to take this on.  If you have enough programming experience,
and are willing to contribute your time, please take a look at the setup
sources (at <http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html>), and
submit a patch to <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>.  Thanks in advance for
contributing.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/