Re: xwin start error

Kyle and Igor,

Love it when I'm wrong. OK, so the faq is correct to a limited extent.
Take out the diagnostic section and the fix works.
1. the mount correctly pointed at the fonts directory
2. their were hundreds of fonts files in the directory

However, I still got the missing font message. I decided to
uninstall/reinstall the files that they listed in the FAQ.

OK, the setup program didn't have a ReInstall option as the FAQ said
it would - I uninstalled, but then the files didn't appear in the list
to install! I was selecting the local directory where I had burned the
cygwin release files, I chose download from the internet and now I
could select them for installation.

Long story short, X works on Cygwin now.

Thanks Igor for sticking to it.

Will

Will Senn wrote:

| Kyle,
|
| I'm sorry, this was not answered. Igor pointed me to the same FAQ
| that I referenced as not being sufficient.If you find an answer
| that works for you, will you please post it? These RTFM folks can
| be a litte tiresome.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Will
|
| Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
|
| | On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, Kyle Costello wrote: | |> Hello, |> |> I
| recently downloaded and installed cygwin (all packages) |>
| according to the directions at: |> |>
| http://www.cs.usask.ca/grads/wew036/latex/xfig.html | | | Why
| didn't you follow the directions on the main Cygwin site or the |
| Cygwin/X site? | |> When I try to start xwin I receive the
| following error message |> and xwin immediately shuts down.  What
| do I need to do in order |> to get xwin running properly? I would
| appreciate any useful |> information. |> |> Thank you, Kyle
| Costello |> |> " XWin was started with the following command line:
| error: |> could not open default font 'fixed'
| winDeinitMultiWindowWM - |> Noting shutdown in progress " | | |
| This was asked (and answered) within the past two days, see |